Thank you for your interest in renting from HomeVault Property Management and your desire to understand our application criteria. We use a professional scoring system to evaluate each application. The following information summarizes the approval process.
- Each person 18 years of age or older that will be living in the unit must submit an application.
- No smoking of any kind is allowed in, on, or around any of our properties including balconies, garages and common areas.
- Any evidence that an applicant has provided false information on the application will result in an automatic denial.
Cliffdwellers approves applications based on a point system with five weighted scoring categories. They are:
Employment and Income (40%)
Criminal (Possible denial)
Identity and Accuracy (Possible denial)
- Applications are NOT processed on a first come, first serve basis.
- The application fee must accompany the application prior to processing the application
- All deposits must be paid in certified funds
- Properties may only be held for up to 14 days with an approved application, signed lease and full deposit.
- We will continue to market all properties until we receive a signed lease and full deposit. Signing a lease but failing to submit the deposit will NOT take the property off of the market and the property may be leased to someone who is able to complete the full requirements.
- Applications may not be processed or approved over the weekend.
- We strive to approve or deny all applications within 72 business hours but we cannot guarantee that the process will not be delayed due to delays in receiving information from 3rd parties.
- Once an application has been accepted the applicant has until 4:00pm on the next business day to deliver all deposits to our office. Failure to deliver the deposits by the time required may result in denial of the application and the property may be awarded to another applicant. Example: The application is approved on Tuesday at 3:00 PM. The applicant has until 4:00 PM on Wednesday to deliver the deposit.
The result of the application process will be one of the following:
- Application Approved with deposit equal to 1 month’s rent
- Application Approved with deposit equal to 1.5 month’s rent or deposit equal to 1 month’s rent plus approved co-signer.
- Approved with deposit equal to 2 month’s rent or deposit equal to 1 month’s rent plus approved co-signer.
- Application Declined.
Employment is scored on the following and maximum score given for:
- Job income and consistency
- A company representative to verify applicant’s employment. In the event of a job change, the previous employment will be verified and the applicant will be asked to provide a copy of an employment contract or written job offer from the new employer.
Income is scored on the following and maximum score is given for:
- Income to rent ratio is 3:1 will earn maximum score although lower income ratio will be scored and may still qualify.
- Income will be verified.
- Unemployment payments do not qualify as earned income towards the income qualification requirement.
- All income must be verifiable.
- 1 year of personal tax returns may be used to assist in qualification.
Credit is scored on the following:
- Weighted FICO score will be used in calculating approval or denial
- Bankruptcy will affect score
- Credit history after any bankruptcy will affect score
- # of Negative accounts (excluding medical accounts and student loans)
- Unpaid collections will affect score
Housing is scored on the following :
- Any applicant with a prior eviction or evidence in any supporting documentation that the tenant has unpaid rent or an outstanding balance with any previous landlord will automatically be denied.
- Less than 2+ years of verifiable resident history will affect score.
- Daytime phone numbers must be provided for rental references.
- If you do not have landlord references because you have recently sold your home, provide a copy of the closing statement.
- If you still own a house and you are now renting it out, provide a copy of the current lease.
- Landlord references will be scored. The following questions will be asked of your prior landlord:
- Rental payment history
- History of taking care of the rental unit and reporting repairs appropriately
- Relationships with prior landlords and other nearby residents
- Number of 3 day notices within a 12 month period
- Number of NSF checks within a 12 month period
- Damage to the property exceeding $500.
- References from family and friends are not included in housing verification
- Instance of broken lease in the past can be grounds for denial.
Criminal background check is scored on the following:
- Any felony conviction within the last 5 years shall be evaluated on an individual basis.
- Any applicant with a domestic violence conviction shall automatically be denied.
- Proof of Identity
Identity and Accuracy is scored on the following:
- All applicants must provide a legible copy of valid identification with full name, date of birth.
- Applicants must also provide one of the following:
- Full Social Security Number
- Valid verifiable work visa
- Alien registration receipt card
- Temporary resident card
- Employment authorization card
- Other personally identifiable form of Identification
- Misrepresentation or inconsistency in application or supporting information shall result in automatic denial.
- In all cases where a cosigner is to be used the cosigner must meet the full qualification guidelines and accept responsibility for the terms of the lease.
Applicants will be automatically declined for the following reasons:
- Eviction and / or monies owed to an apartment or landlord
- If you have filed for bankruptcy and it has not yet been finalized
- Insufficient income
- Unruly or destructive behavior by applicant, applicant’s children or guests.
- Invalid social security number
- Failure to pay application fee
- Incomplete application
- Non-disclosure of criminal records
- Lack of verifiable documentation